Thursday, February 05, 2009

My nemesis: Excel

My nemesis: Excel

Topic(s):
Submitted by: Topher the Geek – Tue, 02/03/2009 – 12:49

So the bossman asks for a new report to track a lot of plant floor statistics. Being an Access guru, I ask if he wants to add a table to an existing database to track the new bits of info. No, he says, just put it in Excel. With a sigh, I go to building an Excel spreadsheet. Then, a few months later, he wants to know if we can add some info from one of our Access databases. With a sigh, I set up the ODBC link. Then, later, he asks if the data in the Excel spreadsheet can be sorted by category instead of by date and for new reports based on the data. When I tell him that it's going to be a lot of trouble to do it in Excel, but that if we import it all into Access I could produce the queries to do things any way he wants, he says, "Okay, do that."
???